Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Well, yeah.

[I wasn't sure if I was even going to post this, but then I considered the fact that everyone who reads this is a friend. I wrote this on the plane ride home, after the very last time I will ever see him.]

The bravest man I have ever known


His name is Edward Rich Jr, and he is truly a man among men. He is also my grandfather. Ever since I can remember, I have been in awe of him. I grew up half-listening to the stories he would tell my dad and his brothers about his life, not fully realizing just how amazing a life it was. He defined what it is to be a citizen of the world and a servant of mankind, something that more people should learn. He held jobs in the local, state and federal government. A part of more organizations than I can count with my hands, nothing has been too large a task for him. He taught me to never look down on anyone, but also never to look up either. Look at everyone as your equal, he said. You can learn something from everyone.

He is staring down the barrel of the loaded gun called life, with the promise of death. Still, he does not tremble. He does not cry and beg for mercy, he merely holds his head up high and smiles. Only a man that has truly lived can laugh at death, and not be burdened with guilt or sadness. I hope that as I grow older and [hopefully] wiser, I will face life with the same amount of courage. Saying goodbye to him for the very last time didn’t feel like much of a goodbye, really. He’s convinced that we will all meet again in the next go ‘round, and I am inclined to believe him.

When I told him that I would pour a shot out for him when he passes on, he chuckled. He told me that such things aren’t to be wasted, and if I want I can pour an extra shot in a glass, and drink it myself. The world will be losing a friend, and my family will be losing an icon and the cornerstone of greatness. He leaves behind a legacy however, of kindness, passion, intelligence, and a love of life that is unrivaled.

Things in my life that I credit to that great man; my love of science and the ability to understand it, an unbridled curiosity for how things work, the ability to bring the child in me everywhere, my sense of humor and sharp wit, a love of travel, and perhaps most importantly… my own love of life and everything in it. I am determined to become something great, even if only a few people will know it as I lay on my deathbed.

“Courage is not the absence of fear; it is merely the ability to recognize fear and walk forward boldly anyway.”

1 comment:

Erin said...

that's really great man... i'm glad you posted it. as long as you keep remembering him, he's never really gone. i'm really glad you got to see him :) let me know if you need anything or someone to talk to!