Sunday, January 18, 2009

The lighter side

What do you do when you are in a town that flaunts it's rampant whoring and booze fueled entertainment, but you are in a loving relationship? Easy, you go to the mall.

I decided this morning that I wanted some video games to occupy me on the flight home from here, and there is only one place that I could go for that. The "SM". That stands for super-mall, as I'm sure you've already guessed. I went to the front desk to ask how long it would take to walk to the SM, and the girl behind the counter looked at me like I was a giraffe that got stuck in a tree. Bewildered and slightly amused. Apparently, I'm further from the mall than I thought. So instead of taking public transportation, I decided to hire a driver. It's kind of like getting a taxi, but nicer. I wait in the lobby for 10 relaxing minutes of feeling the breeze pass through, when a fairly new looking Lexus rolls up. Nice. 10 minutes into the drive, I realize that getting a driver was a good call. We get to the mall, and the driver gives me his cell phone number and tells me to text him when I want to go back to the hotel, so now I feel like James Bond or some shit.

I forgot what malls were like, and why I hate them. This time was different however, I decided to start my mall journey with some motherfucking cheeseburgers. Yes, good old McDonalds. It was tasty, so I was optimistic about my visit. Next I went in search of the video game stores, which -to my surprise- were all conveniently grouped together in one section. (Take notes, America.) It turns out only one of the stores had PSP games, and that store only had 4 to choose from. Luckily, two of those looked pretty awesome, so I bought them. After my quest was complete, I decided that I wasn't quite ready to go back just yet so I wandered aimlessly around. Walked by the movie theater, and quickly noted that I had no idea what any of the movies playing were. Some looked alright, but I still have no idea.

Then comes the awesome part of my mall visit. They had a big Bingo room (where a store would be, but a place to play bingo.) I figured I should give it a shot, because I was bored and tired of walking already. I played 4 games, and even won 1000 pesos (roughly $20) on the third game. I was pretty stoked, so I went in search of something to blow it on. I ended up getting a decent pair of Columbia sunglasses for a good price, they were 50% off. I called up Arther (my driver) and headed outside to wait for him. I am noticing that my tattoos make me very attractive to the gay community, because I keep getting hit on by guys. One guy last night told me I have nice eyes. That's cool man, but if you touch my weiner I will punch you right in the nose.

On the drive back, Arther mentioned that I am going to have a new President tomorrow, something that I had forgotten all about. Apparently the Filipino's are excited about Obama and his bucket of hope. They have been having massive layoffs over here too, which actually shocked me a little bit. I guess it really is a "global" crisis. At least gas prices went down, from what I hear.

Now its time for a short nap before I go lounge around all night. Maybe they'll have live music again tonight, that was pretty swell.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Glad to hear your tattoos are appealing to gays. I guess that means they'll be appealing to women too! Also glad to hear people are optimistic about the bucket of hope... you should get a load of all the hippie crap going on around here lately. Anyhoo, yes, gas prices have gone down. A few weeks ago I filled up for $1.54 a gal. :) now it's around $1.74-$1.85 ish...

Long comment. I'll go now :)